Tuesday, June 9, 2015

New Year's Eve in San Antonio, TX, 1969

Today I'd like to share with you an old family video my mother found in a box of film that belonged to my grandmother, but which had never been processed.  Most of the film was empty (thankfully), but among the lot was this 8 mm film which contained a three minute movie of my mother, aunt, uncle, grandparents, great aunts and uncles, and great-grandparents!  Finding this kind of stuff, for me, is like striking gold.  Actually, it's even better than gold... it's priceless.


Now, judging by the size of all my relatives, we're guessing this video is from, about 1969.  As you can see, there are Christmas decorations up, so it's possible it's Christmas, 1969, but there is a kitchen scene in which my great-aunt Connie is serving the kids buñuelos, which is a fried dessert with cinnamon and sugar and served on New Year's as good luck for the coming year.  (Kind of like some people in the South traditionally eat black-eyed-peas for luck.)  Another scene that points to New Year's Eve, rather than Christmas, is the short outside scene.  On New Year's when my mother was little, the family would pop fireworks, etc.

Whatever the year, it's great to find old footage like this.  I only wish there was more out there like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment